zondag 30 november 2014

November Shoplog

Sooo, I did some shopping in November. I splurged a little on books and on bath products and I even went to H&M and bought a bunch of relatively cheap clothes. I'll skip the clothes, because they're all in the washing machine and not that interesting to be honest. I will show you the books (and the stories of how they came to my book case) and bath thingies though.

The first two books I ordered from AwesomeBooks, an online bookshop that sells second hand books. I'm not a really big fan of second hand book shopping, but because I heard a couple of positive things on BookTube, I wanted to give it a try. I bought Just My Type by Simon Garfield and The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, both in hardcover, for €11. Not a bad deal, I thought, because AwesomeBooks said on their website both books were in used, but good condition. So I was a little bit disappointed when both books arrived in an extremely cheap plastic bag which didn't do much at protecting the books inside. They also both smelled funny (although the website promised they wouldn't). The Graveyard Book's dustcover was dirty and some pages were even dog-eared. Just My Type on the other hand is clearly unread and in good condition, so I'm not really sure what to think about this experience.... What do you think about second hand books?

When I discovered these beautiful editions of Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, I fell in love. I ordered them from The Bookdepository, like I do most of my new books. The lovely cover illustrations are by fashion illustrator Ruben Toledo. They also have this cool deckle edge. I already had Jane Eyre (but I hadn't read tit yet...), in a cheap mass paper back edition, so that book is looking for a new home. :)

Another book I bought partly because of the extremely awesome book cover (and inside) design and partly because I heard a lot of very positive things about the story is Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. Look at that cover! Look at those black sides of the pages! I bought this one via AbeBooks. It was quite cheap (€8) for a new hardcover book and the package was much sturdier than the Awesome books package, but my book still got a bit hassled whilst shipping. Luckely you can't tell by the way the dust jacket looks.

Last week I went to the LUSH shop and did a little splurging. I go to LUSH about once a year, when the festive feeling of December starts to creep into my bones and I need glitter and milky coloured baths. I bought a Holly Golightly bubble bar (oh the glitters!), a Snow Angel bath melt and a new Aqua Mirablis body butter/scrub. I've been using my first scrub bar for a whole year and my very sensitive stupidly quick irritated skin loves it. I've haven't tried the other two, so I'm looking forward to my next bath! :)

Did you indulge in anything in November?

4 opmerkingen:

  1. Ik heb dat boek van Neil ook, ooit van iemand gekregen op de luchthaven, helaas nog niet uitgelezen :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Oh, zo leuk dat je dat zomaar gekregen hebt. Zeker eens lezen. Het is niet mijn favoriete Neil Gaiman boek, maar het is het perfecte boek om iedere avond een hoofdstukje in te lezen voor het slapengaan. :)

      Verwijderen
  2. Ik heb de softcover met dezelfde illustraties van Neil Gaiman, en dezelfde edities van Jane Eyre en Wuthering Heights! Kon ik niet aan weerstaan in de fnac ondertussen al eeuwen geleden.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Ja, ik zag ze ook eerst in de Fnac! maar zoals altijd krijg ik het niet over mijn portemonnee om dat daar te kopen (en ze zijn dan ook meestal al een beetje beschadigd).. Heb je ze allemaal al gelezen?

      Verwijderen

Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.